Frequently Asked Questions
All BrilliantSmart products only support 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.
5GHz or Dual band 2.4GHz/5GHz Wi-Fi is not currently supported.
Please disable the 5GHz band through your modem router/gateway before pairing BrilliantSmart products.
If you are unsure how to do this, please contact your Internet Service Provider
How many BrilliantSmart products can I install?
This is all dependent on your router and home network. Manufacturers set limits to how many devices can be connected to your router at any given time, this includes phones, tablets, TV’s and game consoles. Check your routers instructions for more information.
If the power goes out, and WIFI is down, do Brilliant Smart fittings come back on at the last setting, or default back to factory settings?
Generally, Brilliant Smart products will revert back to the last on setting
Can you use your phone directly with the BrilliantSmart product, bypassing WiFi?
No, BrilliantSmart products require WiFi to operate.
Do BrilliantSmart WiFi products affect your internet speed?
“Most products such as lights, switches and sensors will use minimal bandwidth.
Your internet speed will be affected when streaming video footage from your BrilliantSmart camera similar to any streaming site.”
What range will BrilliantSmart products work up to?
There is no specified distance. The range is dependent on obstructions between the BrilliantSmart product and the location of the router, such as concrete, plaster walls, furniture, mirrors etc. In particular sold metal objects in the path of the signal.
To ensure a Brilliant Smart product will work, we recommend that your phone shows at least two bars of Wi-Fi signal where the product will be installed.
Tip: Your modem should be centrally in the house for maximum effectiveness.
If a BrilliantSmart light is switched off by the app? Will it reset if it is turned on by the manual light switch?
The light will turn back on in the last “on” state of the device. This is dependent on the type of product dependant. The Jupiter dimmer connector will power light on.
Tip: Create lighting schedules in the Brilliant Smart app to ensure lights turn on and off.
What’s the difference between a scene and a group?
A group is a cluster of one type of product that you can associate together. A scene can have multiple products all controlled at the same time.
Can you just control via the app on your phone or do you have to have Google Home/Alexa?
You do not need to use a Google or Alexa. These devices gives you the ability to control your BrilliantSmart products by voice.
Can I use other brands with Brilliant Smart?
You can incorporate other brands of Smart products by using the IFTTT app. Using the IFTTT app can combine other Smart product systems together with BrilliantSmart.
Does the device need to be re-added after changing the router?
If your router’s name and password change, you need to reset the device and add it again.
What/Whom is Tuya?
Tuya are the manufacturers of the smart chip and help us develop Smart products for Brilliant.
Please note when adding device:
1. Confirm device is powered on.
2. Confirm the device is under config mode.
3. Confirm that device, smartphone and router are as close to each other.
4. Make sure the network function of router and smartphone are unblocked.
5. Confirm the entered router password is correct.
6. Confirm adding device is under 2.4 WIFI channel. Enable the broadcast and not allow to hide Wi-Fi
7. Confirm that router’s encryption method is WPA2-PSK and authentication type is AES, or both are set up as automatic.
8. If router’s connected devices reach the amount limit. Please try to turn off some devices’ WiFi function and configure again.
9. If router enables MAC address filter, please try removing the device from MAC filter list and make sure router is allowing device to be connected
10. Make sure that the router has the DHCP service enabled. If it is not enabled, the address will be occupied.
11. If it still doesn’t work, it may be that the router is not compatible with the device. It is recommended that you replace the router and try again.
What if the device is offline?
1. Please confirm whether the device is energized;
2. Please confirm whether the device or the network has been cut off. If so, there is a process to go online. Please check whether it is online after 2 minutes.
3. Please confirm the network is stable.（Check methods: put the phone or iPad besides your device and make sure they’re in the same network environment, try to open a website to judge if the network can be used.)
4. Confirm whether the home WiFi network is normal, or whether the WiFi name and password have been modified. If so, remove the device and add it again, PS: 5G WiFi is temporarily not supported, only 2.4G WiFi can be used.
5. If the network is normal, but the device is still offline, check if there are too many WiFi connections. .Please try to restart the router, wait 3 minutes and observe the status of the device;
6. If all is normal after check, we recommend that you remove the device and add it again.(Device Removal Method: Open the App and enter the device control page, click “…” button which is in the top right corner, click on the bottom of the page “remove device”)
The WIFI indicator flashes quickly, but the network configuration is failed.
1. If the indicator light flashes quickly all the time. Please re-try or restart the Wi-Fi module. If it still does not work, please submit the model number of the router and the phone in Feedback, we will verify and process for you.
2. If the indicator light is out after the quick flash all the time. Please check if your phone can access the external network when connecting Wi-Fi, and check if the name and password for the Wi-Fi is correct in network distribution; please remove the device and re-try after confirmation.
3. The indicator light stays on after the quick flash Please pair and test the network after removal.
When the firewall is set to block all port traffic by default, which ports do the apps need to open to access the Internet?
You can try port 80/443 or port 1883
What encryption types do our Smart Home products support?
Currently our smart home products only support WEP and WPA/WPA2 encryptions. Portal and WPA/WPA2 enterprise are not supported. For security un-secured open networks are not supported. Note: Smart home products do support hidden SSIDs. You will need to enter the SSID and password manually to connect when you do the configuration.
How many downlights work on 1 Jupiter dimmer connector?
This will vary depending on the wattage of the downlight. The max load of the Jupiter dimmer connector is 100W.
– Therefore you can connect approximately 10 x 10W downlights, – 10 x 10W = 100W
– If you had 7W downlights installed, you could run 14 off the one Jupiter dimmer connector. 7W x 14 = 98W.
Do you have to use Wi-Fi to work Brilliant Smart or can they work it off phone data?
Brilliant Smart Wi-Fi product only work with Wi-Fi Signal. For the control, you can use your phone data via Brilliant Smart App to control our smart products
Can you use a non-smart switch with a Jupiter dimmer connector?
Yes. You can turn on/off power to the Jupiter dimmer connector using a regular switch. Also, note, by using your wall switch to turn off your lights, it will negate the app.
Do you need a neutral at your switch for the dimming module and Elite Glass Wall Switches?
Yes, neutral is required for both of these products in the installation.
Can you install a standard wall dimmer with Brilliant Smart products?
No. Brilliant Smart products must have direct 240V. Brilliant Smart dimmable products are only dimmable via app/voice control only.
Why can my app account link with Alexa Skill but not link with Google Action?
1. Please first confirm whether this is a network or proxy issue. Have a look at the Google Action interface to see whether it displays “Can’t update setting, check your connection” or other such message. If it cannot connect because of network reasons, then when you return to the assistant interface you will see the spinning loading circle. After loading, the device list will be displayed.
2. If you have confirmed that the network and proxy are normal but the action cannot be linked, please check whether the account you need to link is for the same app and account. Then check whether there is a device linked to the account, and whether the device is offline. If there are no online devices, you just need to add a device and ensure it stays online.
3. If there is a device under the app account and it is online, but action still cannot be linked: Check whether the device under the account has already activated the Google speaker function.
How to find new devices via Google home?
After adding a device to the app, you need to find the Action “BrilliantSmart” in the “Google Home” app. Unbind the account and re-bind it to control the new device through Google home.
What causes the Trigger not to be triggered in IFTTT?
Does the IFTTT device not execute the action after binding the trigger?
It is recommended to check it in the following aspects:
1. Check more pages of the device to see whether IFTTT is supported;
2. Check whether the trigger conditions are set correctly. For example, if a lamp is registered to an action or a trigger for a lock, it can’t be triggered;
3. Check whether the device is offline because it cannot be triggered offline;
4. Check whether corresponding functions are enabled for the device. For example, register the trigger of camera motion detection and decibel detection, provided that the camera motion detection and decibel detection functions have been enabled.
5. Please confirm whether the app environment bound by the service and the physical device used by IFTTT is consistent, that is, are they both the same production environment? Different environments cannot be implemented.
6. IFTTT event triggering usually takes from a few seconds to a few minutes. Sometimes, a service or network problem might prevent requests from being received for a short time. It is recommended to wait patiently for a while, as this is not an immediate response. You can also check whether the trigger event takes effect by clicking the button “check now”.
7. Please confirm whether “that” (the device or the other) has already implemented corresponding operations and has been manually modified. IFTTT will continue to call our services according to the existing registration events. As long as “this” is satisfied, it will trigger “that”. But a large number of user feedback only needs to be triggered once, and do not continue to call notifications after the human intervention. Therefore, this is also true with our services. The server will intercept the event that triggers the trigger after human intervention with “that” devices. It is recommended to reuse the event after recreating the event through off/on or delete event.
Why can’t an action be executed after linking an IFTTT device to a trigger?
1. Please check that the environments of the service used by IFTTT and the device’s linked app are the same. In other words, are they both in a production environment? Different environments cannot be implemented.
2. The IFTTT event trigger usually takes from a few seconds to a few minutes. Sometimes a problem with the server or network might prevent it from receiving any requests for a short time. We recommend waiting for a while, as this is not an instant response. You can also check whether the trigger event takes effect by clicking the button “Check Now”.
3. Check whether “that” (device or other) has already executed a corresponding operation and whether it is in a manually edited state. IFTTT will continue to call our services according to the existing registration events. As long as “this” is satisfied, it will trigger “that”. But a large number of user feedback only needs to be triggered once, and do not continue to call notifications after the human intervention. Therefore, this is also true with our services. The server will intercept the event that triggers the trigger after human intervention with “that” devices. It is recommended to reuse the event after recreating the event through off/on or delete event.
What are the requirements for the system version of the phone when using the APP?
Mobile version requirements: Android4.2 and above, iOS8.0 and above.Can I control multiple devices in my app?
Yes. You can add devices of the same model to a group for unified control or configure scenarios for associated control of different devices.
How many administrators can I set?
The number of administrators is not limited.
How can I add family members?
Click Me on the homepage and click Home Management. Select the family to which a member is to be added, and click Add member. On the displayed Add member page, specify Name for the member and set Account number to a mobile phone number or an email address. You can specify this member as an administrator by enabling Set as administrator. After you configure the member information, click Completed.
How many groups can be set for a single device “Schedule”?
A single device can set up to 30 sets of “schedule”.
How many scenes can be created in the APP?
You can create up to 50 scenes.
How do I disable the phone notification service for a specific smart scenario?
Tap the scenario under Automation on the Smart page, and delete Missed call reminder from Carry out the following actions.
How to achieve group control of multiple devices of the same model?
If multiple devices of the same model have been added in the APP and you want to achieve group control, you can go to the device page which you want to add a group. Click the upper right corner ” ✏“ and then click “Create Group” . Tick the device you want to create and click the “Confirm” button in the upper right corner to create a group. These devices that join the group can be controlled by the group.
How to remove the device?
Go to the device control page and click ✏” on the top right corner of the page. Then click “Remove Device” to complete the operation.
Is the countdown timer used for power-on or power-off?
It depends on the status of your device. If the device is off and you set the countdown timer to 12 minutes, the device will boot up after 12 minutes.
Is the family information cleared after the family is deleted?
If you delete a family as the family administrator, the family information will be cleared and the added devices will be reset. If you delete a family as a common family member, the family still exists, but you leave the family and can no longer view the family information or operate the home appliances or scenes.
Do common family members and family administrators have different permissions?
A family administrator has all operation rights, including deleting the family from the app. A common family member can only operate devices and scenes but has no right to add or delete smart devices.
What should I do if the test message pushed by the app is not received?
Messages are pushed by third-party systems. For iOS users, messages are pushed via Apple; for Android users, messages are pushed via Google.
Immediately after a message is triggered, Brilliant will submit the message to the third-party system, but the third-party system may push the message after a delay.
Why is the device group function unavailable within a LAN?
Currently, the device group function is implemented via the cloud, during which the cloud sends the control instructions to every device in the group. Therefore, in the scenario of network disconnection between the cloud and device, the device will not receive the instructions.
How long will the user information be stored on the app?
The pictures and videos captured by the camera are stored for 30 days, and other information is stored permanently until the user stops using the account.
How long can data be stored in the app?
The data can be stored for one year
How many users can be created in the app?
The number of users created in the app is not limited
Why cant i control my devices using my phones 4G?
If the device is online normally, please check if your mobile phone has enabled mobile data permissions for the corresponding apps.
iPhone: Settings > Cellular > Find Corresponding App > Enable Cellular Network
Android: Settings > Data Traffic Management > Application Connections > Find Corresponding App > Enable Mobile Data
Why does the app always show that the device is offline, and how does it automatically recover in a second or two?
It may be resulted from your phone performance. Generally, phones running on iOS are not likely to have such an issue, while some low-performance Android phones may have. If the app has not been launched for a long time, it needs to connect with the cloud when you log in again, so the device is displayed as offline. As the app is temporarily not connected with the device, it is not actually offline. It is a normal phenomenon, and you don’t have to worry about it. Just like many apps require to buffer for a few seconds before displaying content, which is actually a process of connecting to the cloud. This may be also resulted from your phone performance and Internet connection.
Is there a limit to the number of scenarios in the app?
There is no limit to the number of scenarios added in the app. You can add based on your needs.
Can the timer be set differently for several days?
You can open the app, go to your device, click “Add Schedule” and select multiple work days or weekends you need to set in the “Repeat” list.
Why can’t I share device with others?
1. Please confirm whether the user has the account of the App.
2. Please confirm whether the area you registered with the other party is in the same country/region.
Can I remotely control the device?
1. For the first time, the mobile phone and device must be placed under the same Wi-Fi network environment.
2. After the device is connected to the network with Wi-Fi, the phone can be switched to other network control.
3. Make sure that the device must be connected to the Wi-Fi at all times so that the app can be used for normal linkage.
How to cancel the countdown function?
Please set the countdown timer at 0 hours and 0 minutes to cancel the countdown.
How to obtain MAC address?
1. Open up BrilliantSmart App
2. Enter “My Device” and click “… ” icon on the top right of the screen
3. Enter “Device Info”, check “Device ID”
4. MAC address is the last 12 numbers of “Device ID”
Does the socket have a power-outage memory storage function?
Yes. If power goes out in your home, after power is restored the socket will operate according to its original settings.
Can I turn off the blue indicator light on my Brilliant Smart product?
No, the blue indicator light cannot be turned off.
How do I get the BrilliantSmart WiFi switch back into pairing mode after it’s already been paired once?
Remove device from Brilliant Smart app and if available choose “restore factory setting”. This will start the re-connect process again.
Why doesn’t my Garden light connect to the App?
Brilliant Smart Garden lighting takes slightly longer to connect to the App.
To restore factory settings and to enter paring mode, turn the power on and off, make sure the indicator on the controller is completely off before turning it off each time.
Why can BrilliantSmart app control devices while Alexa cannot?
If a device and your mobile phone where the control app is running reside on the same network, the mobile phone and device are located on a LAN. Therefore, the app on the mobile phone can control the device. However, in fact, the device has gone offline. You are advised to disconnect the device from the LAN, reconnect it to the LAN, and then perform account binding using the Skill.
Does Alexa support the voice control of scenes?
Alexa supports the voice control for scenes. Set up scenes in the app, and then discover devices; the scenes set in the app will appear in the Scene list of the Alexa app. The command to trigger the scenes is as follows: Alexa, turn on scene names
Why can’t Echo find new devices?
To find devices, Echo needs to meet the following requirements:
1. Make sure that the app account binds with Echo and the account that the device is on are the same;
2. Make sure that the device is online. Offline devices cannot be found.
If devices still can’t be found, try using the web version of the app. The Alexa app may be unstable in some regions, in which case the web version can be used to search and control the speakers.
When I am using Alexa to control a device, the speaker does not respond with “OK” or display an error. It just makes a beeping sound and then the indicator is off.
When this happens, it may be because Alexa cannot accurately distinguish the user’s command or work out their intention. We recommend you try to change the device name in our app to a more easily recognizable name (such as “bedroom light” or “living room”) then search for devices again and try to control the device using its new name.
If this doesn’t work, please provide your device ID and app account for troubleshooting.
The Alexa app’s device screen displays “Device is unresponsive”
If this message appears, it means the device status currently saved on the server is offline. It is recommended that you switch your phone’s network to 4G and enter the BrilliantSmart app to view the device’s status. If you find the device is actually offline, you can try the following troubleshooting method: The device has been successfully added but suddenly displays “Offline”.
When using Echo to control things, commands are not carried out
1. Confirm that the device supports voice control and that it is already linked to the speaker. For details, see the manuals for Echo and Google Home.
2. Confirm that the device is online. You can check that everything is normal through the app.
3. Different devices support different voice commands. Check that the command you want to use is supported.
4. Check that the device name is easily recognizable. It is recommended to use two or three common words, for example, “living room light.”
5. Check whether there has been any change in the smart device app account linked with Alexa. For example, the device may have been reset or the account switched for another.